Many homeowners prefer the option of re-roofing because it is less expensive and tends to be quicker. However, this is not always possible. A truly worn-out roof will require a full tear-off.
Scenarios that would benefit from a complete roof tear-off would include:
- A roof that has faulty decking
- Weakened integrity from having too many shingle layers
- A roof where portions of the shingles are incompatible
What Is Involved in a Complete Roof Tear-Off
When it comes to tearing off a roof, residents can trust our specialists to follow a designated, step-by-step process.
The two primary parts of getting rid of an old, malfunctional roof include:
- Making sure that the property below is protected – During the process of taking off the roof, it is key to safeguard all the valuables before any new roof goes in. Although it does not rain a lot in Southern California, on any occasion that it does rain, it pours. It is also important to keep belongings safe from scorching sunlight, arid winds, dust and debris, and all kinds of pests. With dedicated tarps or other coverings, we can protect everything beneath the roof.
- Taking off the current roof – Although there are many kinds of ways to take off the shingles, tiles, or slates of a roof, experts often use “tear-off” forks. These are excellent tools for slipping beneath the roof layers and pulling up a large portion at a time. Some of the roofing contractors will focus just on taking off each section. The rest of the crew will safely dispose of the falling debris.
Getting rid of the nails is the final important step of the tear-off process. Otherwise, the roof will not be ready for any new tiles or shingles because the old, rusty nails are still clinging on. Usually, the nails can be directly pulled from any exposed overhang. However, if the decking is made of plywood, the nails can be hammered down instead. So long as they are flush right along the neck, they will not be in any way during the installation process.
This step is also helpful for testing the decking’s overall integrity. If the decking begins to crumble or splinter every time it is hammered, it will not be able to hold a new roof. This proves to our roofing experts at Golden Eagle Roofing Services that a new deck is required before any installation can take place.
Get in touch with us now at (818) 650-3007 for reliable Granada Hills tear-offs.
Project: Install Asphalt Shingle Roof – I had Edvin do two of my houses. The first was a basic 40 year shingle, however my primary house was done with high end shingles and I was very, very impressed with both his company as a whole and all of his employee’s. All very professional, cleaned up after themselves, no mess was left at the end of the day and he did not cut any corners. I’m very meticulous and all the detail was taken care of from begging to end. Most owners just come and go during the day, but Edvin rolled up his sleeves and worked along side his employee’s from morning into the night. In the dark. Very impressed with all aspects of his work and business.
We are fully licensed with every city and county in which we do work, and we are fully insured for liability and workers' compensation.10401 Gloria Ave
Granada Hills, CA 91344